Sunday, September 21, 2008

juicer: major space occupier

Today my parent bought an electric juicer. Technically, it should be WE and yes, that includes myself. I involuntarily shell out 750php for the juicer. I was like "Whoa, really?!". I woke up early in the afternoon and my mother told me , "Mabakal si papa mo juicer karon, 750 kuno imo" ("Your dad will buy an electric juicer later and your share is 750php'). I just said yes after telling them sometimes they (my parents) really surprise me a lot. I sugegsted my dad to buy the many-in-1 juicer or whatever itw as called. He told me it costs 3,000 pesos and he has a budget for 1,800 pesos the most only. Fine. He wanted a juicer so he could do carot juice. My dad is really that health conscious. He has hypertension and he just made yet anothercheck up with his physician where he was told to avoid eating canned goods and increase his vegetables and fruits consumption. As a nurse and hiis daught, I am not really strict with him. I would sometimes tease him to eat porkchop or ask him to not religiously take his medicines. He has this maintenance meds for his hypertension. I remember a funny story my dad had with his doctor some time this year. I'll tell you about it when I'm done blabbing about our new electric juicer. When my parents came home tehy already had teh juicer with them. I eagerly tried to set it up. I was so lazy to go through the manual so instead I asked papa to explain to me how to use it. I think it was so complicated! It looks like a n unfriendly robot to me. It looks very close to this photo below:


It looks more complicated when you get to see it and hold it in person. Is it complicated or is it just me? Hahaha! I was a bit hesistant to use it because I might be doing it the wrong way. I even mentioned that it is such a major space occupier in our very small kitchen. I was thinking the appliance is too big for being just a juicer, alone. My dad cut soem apples after washing our new juicer. He asked me to try it so I did. It was a bit time consuming since you have to drio apple slices by twos. The apple slices should also be no more than 3 inches long because it won't go through the hole above the juicer. And, you have to push it down maually! Urgh! It was not an easy job becuae you have to do the slicing and etc. (wait 'til we get to the washing part). Three big apples made 3 glasses of apple juice. I put ice on it and we all enjoyed it togetehr with brownies from Dunkin Donuts. By the way, for this day doughnuts, brownies and drinksfrom Dunkin Donuts were sold at 11 pesos only each. It was a one day promo, though. The juice tastes good. It was maybe my first time to taste 100% natural apple juice. Yeebah!


Here we go to the washing part. Boy, wasn't I surprised that otehr from the pulp found in the "pulp collector" there are more to see inside the juicer. When you clean the juicer, you have to detach some parts so you can wash it. There was a handful if I remeber it right. I felt like maybe this brand of juicer is making too much pulp than it reall should be. I have to found it yet soon when I try other fruits. The electric juicer is not my kind of appliance in the kicthen. Maybe my dad bought the not so good brand. I forgot the brand. I will check it tomorrow. It is too chunky looking and for me it's not easy to clean. It also occupy a big space. I love microwave oven better! hahaha! If I get to do juice a lot of fruits this week maybe I'll love the electric juicer. Who knows?


Ok, back to my dad's conversation with his doctor. I honestly find the conversation somewhat funny but I feel a litte guilt about it. The doctor asked my father if he regularly monitors his blood pressure and my father said no, he does not. The doctor asked him is there somebody in the house who can atleast check his blood preessure once in a while. My father told the doctor that all his three daughters are nurses. Hahahaha, was the doctor surprised! Technically, it was only twoof us because my younger sister was a student nurse then but she's going to take her NLE this Novemeber. I know she can make it. :) I sometimes check my fatehr's blood pressure. It was actually him who doesn't check it regularly. Hahahah. I'm defending myself!

You know what, for today I was thinking of being a chef. Let's see what will I want to be tomorrow.

No comments: